Chicago Sky superstar Angel Reese said she wouldn't be in a good financial position if she relied solely on her WNBA salary to make ends meet.
Reese, 22, splashed this offseason by attending the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show in New York City, where she reunited with former Sky teammate Kysre Gondrezick. Gondrezick is currently dating Boston Celtics NBA Champion Jaylen Brown, with whom Reese spent considerable time before her release from the Sky earlier in the 2024 WNBA season.
While Reese has built a successful career with multiple endorsements and brand collaborations, the irony is that her primary income source—playing basketball—doesn’t contribute significantly to her financial well-being.
During an Instagram Live following the fashion show, Reese candidly stated, “Hating pays my bills, baby. I just hope you know the WNBA doesn't pay my bills at all. I don't even think that pays one of my bills. Literally, I'm trying to think of my rent for where I stay at [in Chicago]. I'm gonna do the math real quick. I don't even know my [WNBA] salary.”
Reese's WNBA salary for the 2024 season was $73,439. After doing the math, she exclaimed, “Yo, I'm living beyond my means! No, my rent is more than that. It's $8,000. I'm living beyond my means.”
She continued, “Babe if y'all thought... I wouldn't even be able to eat a sandwich with [the WNBA salary]. I wouldn't even be able to live.”
It’s important to note that the $73,439 figure represents her base salary for the season. It doesn’t include additional earnings from bonuses for being an All-Star ($2,575) and being named to the All-Rookie team ($1,500). WNBA players also receive full benefits year-round.
Additionally, WNBA players can stay in team-provided housing during the season, which is fully covered. If they choose to live elsewhere, they can receive a monthly housing stipend and access to a rental car.
Fortunately, with rising stars like Reese and Caitlin Clark joining the league, the WNBA's revenue is expected to increase, leading to higher salaries for players in the future.

.jpeg)